A Company Secretary is a senior setting in a private sector company or public industry organisation, usually in the kind of a managerial position or above. In large American and Canadian publicly listed firms, a company secretary is usually named a Corporate Secretary or Secretary. Despite the name, the role is not a clerical or secretarial one in the typical feeling. The company secretary makes certain that an organisation follows appropriate regulations and law, and keeps board participants notified of their lawful responsibilities. Company secretaries are the company’s called agent on lawful documents, and it is their responsibility to guarantee that the company and its supervisors operate legally. It is additionally their responsibility to sign up and connect with investors, to ensure that rewards are paid and to maintain company records, such as lists of supervisors and investors, and yearly accounts.
In numerous countries, exclusive firms have typically been needed by law to select a single person as a company secretary, and he or she will likewise generally be an elderly board member. Firms law requires just a listed company to have a whole time secretary and a single member company (any type of company that is not a public company) to have a secretary. The secretary to be selected by a listed company shall be a member of an acknowledged body of expert accountants, or a member of an identified body of business/ chartered secretaries or a person holding a masters level in Organisation Management or Commerce or is a Regulation grad from an university identified and having relevant experience. The company secretarial services of a solitary member company shall be a person holding a bachelor level from a college identified.
The responsibilities of a company secretary are normally included in an employment contract. Nonetheless, the company secretary usually performs the adhering to features:-.
Functions of secretary:
– To ensure conformity of the provisions of Companies Law and rules made there-under and various other statutes and bye-laws of the company.
– To make certain that organisation of the company is carried out in accordance with its items as included in its memorandum of organization.
– To guarantee that events of the company are handled based on its objects contained in the posts of association and the stipulations of the Companies Law.
– To prepare the program in assessment with the Chairman and the other documents for all the meetings of the board of supervisors.
– To arrange with and to call and hold meetings of the board and to prepare an appropriate record of procedures.
– To go to the broad meetings in order to guarantee that the lawful needs are satisfied, and offer such information as are necessary.
– To prepare, in examination with the chairman.